How to fix the Device Manager Error 31 Code 31
Error InformationError name: Code 31
Error number: Error 31
Applies to: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
Description: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Recommended: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
This repair tool can fix common computer errors like BSODs, system freezes and crashes. It can replace missing operating system files and DLLs, remove malware and fix the damage caused by it, as well as optimize your PC for maximum performance.DOWNLOAD NOW
About Device Manager
Each device you connect to your computer has a compatible driver to help you run processes that utilize that component. You will find a list of all devices within the computer in the Device Manager's hardware device properties. When something is wrong with these components, you will see indicators on that list. These indicators will give you an idea whether it is a driver issue, a conflict with system resource or other devices. You may see an exclamation point, a question mark or a down arrow on the list.
Device Manager errors come with error messages that describe the situation you are having with your computer hardware. Known as hardware error codes, these tell you exactly which part of the computer is having an issue. When you come across Device Manager error codes, you can correct the problem by making changes in the Device Manager section.
The Device Manager window and its contents are similar in all Windows version. To view status of components in Device Manager, you can simply search for the term "Device Manager" or run the process "devmgmt.msc".
Here we list some definitions for the words contained in your error, in an attempt to help you understand your problem. This is a work in progress, so sometimes we might define the word incorrectly, so feel free to skip this section!
- Device - Electronic devices: computers, smartphones, tablets, electronic hardware and platforms.
- Drivers - THIS TAG IS FOR WRITING DRIVERS
- Load - A measure of the amount of work a computer is performing
- Required - Required is an HTML attribute of an input element that forces that the input be supplied.
- Windows - GENERAL WINDOWS SUPPORT IS OFF-TOPIC
Symptoms of Code 31 - Code 31
As previously discussed, you will see indicators on the Device Manager window when you are experiencing problems with it. The problematic device might have a red X mark, an exclamation point or a question mark or a down arrow on it depending on what case you are facing.
An exclamation point denotes your computer detects a device but doesn't recognize it but if you see a question mark with an exclamation point, there may be conflicts between two devices connected to your computer. A red X mark means that your operating system cannot find the device, it might have been disabled or needs to be reconnected or rediscovered by your computer. A down arrow means a device is temporarily disabled.
Other than icon indicators on Device Manager, you may also receive errors that will tell you the symptoms your computer is displaying.
(For illustrative purposes only)
Causes of Code 31 - Error 31
Regardless of the kind of Device Manager error you are getting, these errors are normally caused by the following:
- Recent changes made in the system such as installation of a new program or hardware
- Registry changes due to other error troubleshooting
- Updates that your computer automatically installed
- Virus infection that targets Device Manager settings
- Not enough memory
- Defective hardware due to normal device wear and tear
There is no need to be afraid of receiving a Device Manager error. Device Manager errors are tools that help us properly identifying which component or software you need to troubleshoot.
If a repair method works for you, please click the upvote button to the left of the answer, this will let other users know which repair method is currently working the best.
Please note: Neither ErrorVault.com nor it's writers claim responsibility for the results of the actions taken from employing any of the repair methods listed on this page - you complete these steps at your own risk.
- On Device Manager, find the problematic driver.
- Right click the device and click Properties.
- When you see the Properties window, click the Driver tab.
- You will see the Roll Back Driver button, click that.
- Confirm the rollback by clicking Yes when you see a question that says "Are you sure you would like to roll back to the previously installed driver software?"
- Restart your computer after this.
It is the simplest single step you perform to correct problems with your device. Whenever you get a Device Manager error, first thing you would want to do is to restart your computer and let your computer go back to previous setup without reinstalling or restoring your OS.
Also, keep it a habit to turn your computer off after use. It's an easy enough task to do and very helpful in maintaining proper system operations. Leaving your computer on a sleep or hibernate mode can shorten the life of your computer anyway, so, again, make it a point to shut down your computer after every usage.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
- Click System Restore and then click Next.
- Choose your restore point when you know your computer is doing fine
- Keep clicking Next and the click Finish
- It will take time so be patient, wait for the operation to completely stop
- Right-click the Start button, then click System.
- Once in System window, click System and Security.
- Tap System and on the left side, click System protection.
- Click System Restore, follow the instruction to select your restore point and then click Next until you see the Finish button.
- Wait for the restore process to finish.
- Click Start, Search for Update.
- You will see Windows Update as one of the listed search items, click it.
- This will automatically run a search for the most recent updates you should have. You may want to check the descriptions of the updates and install only those that are compatible with your system.
- If you received a Device Manager error code, take note of the description so you can pinpoint the driver or the component that is causing the error
- Launch device manager by either searching for Device Manager or running "devmgmt.msc"
- Find the driver on the list and right click on it
- Click Uninstall in case you want to reinstall the driver, or Update Driver Software if you are trying to update it.
- You will see a confirmation window, make sure the Delete driver software item is unchecked.
- Click ok then reboot your computer.
You may alternately do this:
- You may manually download the driver from the manufacturer.
- Run it to replace the current driver you are using.
- Once done, let your computer reboot.
Wie beheben Fehler 31 (Code 31) - Dieses Gerät funktioniert nicht richtig, da Windows die für dieses Gerät erforderlichen Treiber nicht laden kann.
Come fissare Errore 31 (Codice 31) - Questo dispositivo non funziona correttamente perché Windows non può caricare i driver necessari per questo dispositivo.
Hoe maak je Fout 31 (Code 31) - Dit apparaat werkt niet goed omdat Windows de voor dit apparaat vereiste stuurprogramma's niet kan laden.
Comment réparer Erreur 31 (Code 31) - Ce périphérique ne fonctionne pas correctement car Windows ne peut pas charger les pilotes requis pour ce périphérique.
어떻게 고치는 지 오류 31 (코드 31) - Windows가 이 장치에 필요한 드라이버를 로드할 수 없기 때문에 이 장치가 제대로 작동하지 않습니다.
Como corrigir o Erro 31 (Código 31) - Este dispositivo não está funcionando corretamente porque o Windows não pode carregar os drivers necessários para ele.
Hur man åtgärdar Fel 31 (Kod 31) - Den här enheten fungerar inte korrekt eftersom Windows inte kan ladda de drivrutiner som krävs för den här enheten.
Как исправить Ошибка 31 (Код 31) - Это устройство не работает должным образом, поскольку Windows не может загрузить драйверы, необходимые для этого устройства.
Jak naprawić Błąd 31 (Kod 31) - To urządzenie nie działa poprawnie, ponieważ system Windows nie może załadować sterowników wymaganych dla tego urządzenia.
Cómo arreglar Error 31 (Código 31) - Este dispositivo no funciona correctamente porque Windows no puede cargar los controladores necesarios para este dispositivo.
STEP 1:Click Here to Download and install the Windows repair tool.
STEP 2:Click on Start Scan and let it analyze your device.
STEP 3:Click on Repair All to fix all of the issues it detected.
1 Ghz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD
This download offers unlimited scans of your Windows PC for free. Full system repairs start at $19.95.
Speed Up Tip #60
Replace Slow Hard Drive:
If you have an older and slow 5400 RPM hard drive, then it is recommended to replace it with a 7200 RPM one. You can go with a traditional SATA or SAS hard drive but SSDs are becoming less costly now. Depending on your needs, just make sure to get the highest RPM available.
Click Here for another way to speed up your Windows PC
Microsoft & Windows® logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft. Disclaimer: ErrorVault.com is not affiliated with Microsoft, nor does it claim such affiliation. This page may contain definitions from https://stackoverflow.com/tags under the CC-BY-SA license. The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. © Copyright 2018