How to fix the Runtime Code 5118 Rosetta Stone Error 5118
This article features error number Code 5118
, commonly known as Rosetta Stone Error 5118
described as Fatal error.
About Runtime Code 5118
Runtime Code 5118 happens when Rosetta Stone fails or crashes whilst it's running, hence its name. It doesn't necessarily mean that the code was corrupt in some way, but just that it did not work during its run-time. This kind of error will appear as an annoying notification on your screen unless handled and corrected. Here are symptoms, causes and ways to troubleshoot the problem.
Here we list some definitions for the words contained in your error, in an attempt to help you understand your problem. This is a work in progress, so sometimes we might define the word incorrectly, so feel free to skip this section!
- Fatal error - An error that causes a program to abort, regardless of the programming language.
- Rosetta stone - Encouraging users to solve a challenge using as many different languages as they know
Symptoms of Code 5118 - Rosetta Stone Error 5118
Runtime errors happen without warning. The error message can come up the screen anytime Rosetta Stone is run. In fact, the error message or some other dialogue box can come up again and again if not addressed early on.
There may be instances of files deletion or new files appearing. Though this symptom is largely due to virus infection, it can be attributed as a symptom for runtime error, as virus infection is one of the causes for runtime error. User may also experience a sudden drop in internet connection speed, yet again, this is not always the case.
(For illustrative purposes only)
Causes of Rosetta Stone Error 5118 - Code 5118
During software design, programmers code anticipating the occurrence of errors. However, there are no perfect designs, as errors can be expected even with the best program design. Glitches can happen during runtime if a certain error is not experienced and addressed during design and testing.
Runtime errors are generally caused by incompatible programs running at the same time. It may also occur because of memory problem, a bad graphics driver or virus infection. Whatever the case may be, the problem must be resolved immediately to avoid further problems. Here are ways to remedy the error.
Runtime errors may be annoying and persistent, but it is not totally hopeless, repairs are available. Here are ways to do it.
If a repair method works for you, please click the upvote button to the left of the answer, this will let other users know which repair method is currently working the best.
Please note: Neither ErrorVault.com nor it's writers claim responsibility for the results of the actions taken from employing any of the repair methods listed on this page - you complete these steps at your own risk.
When you get a runtime error, keep in mind that it is happening due to programs that are conflicting with each other. The first thing you can do to resolve the problem is to stop these conflicting programs.
- Open Task Manager by clicking Ctrl-Alt-Del at the same time. This will let you see the list of programs currently running.
- Go to the Processes tab and stop the programs one by one by highlighting each program and clicking the End Process buttom.
- You will need to observe if the error message will reoccur each time you stop a process.
- Once you get to identify which program is causing the error, you may go ahead with the next troubleshooting step, reinstalling the application.
Using Control Panel
Using Other Methods
- For Windows 7, click the Start Button, then click Control panel, then Uninstall a program
- For Windows 8, click the Start Button, then scroll down and click More Settings, then click Control panel > Uninstall a program.
- For Windows 10, just type Control Panel on the search box and click the result, then click Uninstall a program
- Once inside Programs and Features, click the problem program and click Update or Uninstall.
- If you chose to update, then you will just need to follow the prompt to complete the process, however if you chose to Uninstall, you will follow the prompt to uninstall and then re-download or use the application's installation disk to reinstall the program.
- For Windows 7, you may find the list of all installed programs when you click Start and scroll your mouse over the list that appear on the tab. You may see on that list utility for uninstalling the program. You may go ahead and uninstall using utilities available in this tab.
- For Windows 10, you may click Start, then Settings, then choose Apps.
- Scroll down to see the list of Apps and features installed in your computer.
- Click the Program which is causing the runtime error, then you may choose to uninstall or click Advanced options to reset the application.
Virus infection causing runtime error on your computer must immediately be prevented, quarantined or deleted. Make sure you update your virus program and run a thorough scan of the computer or, run Windows update so you can get the latest virus definition and fix.
You might be getting the error because of an update, like the MS Visual C++ package which might not be installed properly or completely. What you can do then is to uninstall the current package and install a fresh copy.
- Uninstall the package by going to Programs and Features, find and highlight the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Click Uninstall on top of the list, and when it is done, reboot your computer.
- Download the latest redistributable package from Microsoft then install it.
You might also be experiencing runtime error because of a very low free space on your computer.
- You should consider backing up your files and freeing up space on your hard drive
- You can also clear your cache and reboot your computer
- You can also run Disk Cleanup, open your explorer window and right click your main directory (this is usually C: )
- Click Properties and then click Disk Cleanup
If the error is related to a bad graphics driver, then you may do the following:
- Open your Device Manager, locate the graphics driver
- Right click the video card driver then click uninstall, then restart your computer
If the error you are getting is related to the Internet Explorer, you may do the following:
- Reset your browser.
Disable script debugging and error notifications.
- For Windows 7, you may click Start, go to Control Panel, then click Internet Options on the left side. Then you can click Advanced tab then click the Reset button.
- For Windows 8 and 10, you may click search and type Internet Options, then go to Advanced tab and click Reset.
- On the same Internet Options window, you may go to Advanced tab and look for Disable script debugging
- Put a check mark on the radio button
- At the same time, uncheck the "Display a Notification about every Script Error" item and then click Apply and OK, then reboot your computer.
If these quick fixes do not work, you can always backup files and run repair reinstall on your computer. However, you can do that later when the solutions listed here did not do the job.
Wie beheben Fehler 5118 (Rosetta-Steinfehler 5118) - Fataler Fehler.
Come fissare Errore 5118 (Errore Stele di Rosetta 5118) - Errore fatale.
Hoe maak je Fout 5118 (Rosetta Steen Fout 5118) - Fatale fout.
Comment réparer Erreur 5118 (Erreur de pierre de Rosette 5118) - Erreur fatale.
어떻게 고치는 지 오류 5118 (로제타 스톤 오류 5118) - 치명적 오류.
Como corrigir o Erro 5118 (Rosetta Stone Error 5118) - Erro fatal.
Hur man åtgärdar Fel 5118 (Rosetta Stone Error 5118) - Allvarligt fel.
Как исправить Ошибка 5118 (Розеттский камень: ошибка 5118) - Фатальная ошибка.
Jak naprawić Błąd 5118 (Błąd kamienia z Rosetty 5118) - Błąd krytyczny.
Cómo arreglar Error 5118 (Error de Rosetta Stone 5118) - Error fatal.
About The Author:
Phil Hart has been a Microsoft Community Contributor since 2010. With a current point score over 100,000, they've contributed more than 3000 answers in the Microsoft Support forums and have created almost 200 new help articles in the Technet Wiki.
03/01/23 02:42 : A Windows 10 user voted that repair method 1 worked for them.
Recommended Repair Tool:
This repair tool can fix common computer problems such as blue screens, crashes and freezes, missing DLL files, as well as repair malware/virus damage and more by replacing damaged and missing system files.
Click Here to Download
and install the Windows repair tool.
Click on Start Scan
and let it analyze your device.
Click on Repair All
to fix all of the issues it detected.
1 Ghz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD
This download offers unlimited scans of your Windows PC for free. Full system repairs start at $19.95.
Article ID: ACX010247EN
Applies To: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000
Speed Up Tip #40
Using RAM, GPU and CPU Tuning Utilities
If you are an advanced user, you can make use of various free tuning utilities to optimize your RAM, video card and CPU. Tweak the settings, speed, and timing of these essential components of your pc to get a better speed and maximum performance. Some of these useful tools include MSI Afterburner, CPUID, Intel XTU and AMD Catalyst.
Click Here for another way to speed up your Windows PC